To have air support on Sumatra and to replace the RAF Spitfire unit stationed on Medan, 122 Sqn was established in Tjililitan on 1 November 1946.
122 Sqn had extra personnel and aircraft from 121 Sqn. Under the command of Captain Gerard Deibel, 12 P-51s of the 122 Sqn and the technical staff in a B-25, flew on November 14 1946 from Tjililitan to their Polonia base at Medan, a distance of 1390 km. Reinforcement with 5 aircraft came on 19 November.
In the B-25, a team from the technical service was under the command of adjudant C.W. Bastiaans .