The airbase, then about 2.5 km south of Medan and a 1700-meter runway, came late '45 into British hands by parts of 26th Indian Division after the Japanese capitulation on August 15 1945.
Followed by occupation of the city by the 4th Brigade Indian Division and airfield by 155th RAF Spitfire squadron.
In September 1946 a detachment from ML arrived in Medan to make preperations for transfer and arrival of a Dutch fighter squadron.
The detachment was expanded in October with a few assistants, 2 air traffic controllers and a chief radio station.
In that month, the personnel strength came to 2 officers, 3 petty officers and nine corporals.
The official transfer took place on November 15 1946 and the airfield was marked '11VB'.
All warehouse stocks, including the arms warehouse and the motor transport service were taken over from the British.
At that time IIVB Polonia was enclosed on three sides by Republican territory.
4 Piper Cubs arrived on November 14 1946 for the 17 Squadron VARWA (C-Patrol) , 12 P-51 Mustang fighter aircraft for 122 Squadron and a B-25 with a team from the technical service.
Other ground staff, 4 officers, 116 petty officers, corporals and men left with LST 'Albatros' to Medan.
Five P-51’s from Tjililitan were flown in on November 19, making 17 aircraft available to 122sqn.
The demarkation line ran straight through the city.
The city and the airport were often shot from the edge of the forest by snipers and bombarded with mortars and machine guns.