Based on an idea of Peter Wolf, the first version of this website was created by Roel Bazuin in october 2019, combining collected content of and additional research into the 122 (NEI) squadron.
Next to creating general online content about this Dutch P-51 Squadron, an important goal is collecting names of crew. Maybe finding their kin in a later stage. The squadron played and plays a significant role in several family’s.
The 'crew' of 122sqn website:
- R. Bazuin - website, photo’s - grandson of crew C.W. Bastiaans
- C. Gerardu-Low - inventarisation of names; photo’s - daughter of S. Gerardu
- S. Gerardu - a living member of 122sqn putting names on faces in pictures
- P. Guit - providing photo’s and information - son of crew T. Guit
- P. Wolf - specialist in 122sqn - son of crew C.W. Wolf
Relatively little is known about this Medan based ML-KNIL squadron equipped with P-51 Mustang fighter-bombers.
Nevertheless it played a small but not unimportant role in a part of Dutch history in the former Dutch East Indies after the declaration of independence of the Republic of Indonesia on 15 August 1945.
In 1946, Medan was an 'enclave' on North Sumatra and surrounded on three sides by the Republican army.
"In the beginning there was a lot of shooting and we were not allowed to leave the site", my mother said. At that time in her teenage years. The circumstances have undoubtedly had a major impact.
R Bazuin’s grandfather C.W. Bastiaans worked for the unit and later grandmother, mother and uncle lived on the airfield in Medan.